Thursday, June 23, 2016

Movie: Carrie (2013)


I'm not holding myself to any rules about the order in which the adaptations are watched, so I jumped over the made-for-TV 2002 Carrie straight to the most recent movie. Generally I'm not a big fan a remakes. And, yes, I do know that many great movies are actually remakes that all-but-erased the legacy of their predecessors (don't take too much stock in the link; that's just an example). However, 1976 Carrie was iconic and particularly beloved by the author. In fact, Stephen King doesn't even list this movie on his official website's list of film adaptations. Since I clearly wasn't blown away by De Palma's version, I feel a little more magnanimous to the remake.

The new Carrie, directed by Kimberly Peirce (Boys Don't Cry, Stop-Loss, and that's pretty much it), is somewhat more faithful to the book, but at the same time all but lifts scenes straight from the 1976 film. For example, although filmed in and around Toronto, this version keeps the setting as Maine. Old Carrie didn't bother to disguise the fact that they were filming in California and did not tip its hand as to where it was supposed to take place. Also, the casting was far more age-appropriate in the remake, although Mr. Skin aficionados will be disappointed by the therefore far more modest locker room scene. On the other hand, some things don't change. We picked up right away on the Sue Snell shut out of the dance scene, which allowed her to witness the massacre in both films without dying herself. Also, the Carrie-versus-Mrs. White relationship remains center stage instead of Chris and Billy as it was in the book. Finally, some things were just not as good. The actor who played Tommy Ross was just no William Katt, and in general the old cast was superior if you can get over the whole adults-playing-kids issue. Also, as is deeply problematic of so many movies today, especially the remakes, it is loading with a lot of extra flashy CGI effects. Although I liked how she turns fire hoses into whips at Prom Night, much of the special effects were more spectacle than necessary, resulting in Carrie flexing her powers way more throughout the movie (even before Prom Night).

All told, this wasn't an awful film. I completely understand those who found it unnecessary, but it does remedy a few glaring flaws from the original to bring it more in line with the book. But, as with many adaptations, it just isn't going to outdo its source material. Perhaps those who have never read the book or saw the original movie will find it the most intriguing.

2 comments:

  1. I watched the 2013 Carrie and it was okay. It's hard for me to visualize anyone other than Sissy Spacek when I think of Carrie. And although I've always liked Chloe Grace Morentz (at least ever since Kick Ass), it was hard to accept her as Carrie. Maybe I just need to open my mind about her. I did hear she was cast as the new The Little Mermaid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Morentz was more age-appropriate, but Spacek is undoubtedly the archetype. Oddly enough, if you want to explore variations among the films, Sue Snell presents much more diversity of depiction.

    ReplyDelete